Creating Connections: Introduction to Neuro-Developmental Treatment and Dynamic Core for Kids
1 Oct - 3 Oct 2023 @ TorontoKidsPhysioGroup Leaside
This three-day, live course offers an introduction to Neuro-Developmental Treatment using a Dynamic Core for Kids framework regarding alignment and central stability.
Typical motor development is presented within a systems perspective with the focus of study highlighting how musculoskeletal alignment contributes to the development of upper extremity function, oral motor function, phonation and functional mobility. The systems framework also assists when conceptualizing the development of children with sensory and motor challenges and how these challenges impact alignment, emotional regulation, sensory processing and motor control.
Participants will develop a basic level skill in clinical reasoning and movement analysis as part of the assessment and treatment process by combining Dynamic Core for Kids alignment concepts with NDT handling. Learning is offered through lectures, small group labs, video analysis and treatment demonstrations. There will also be an opportunity to participate in a treatment practicum with clients, which provides an invaluable opportunity to put your theoretical knowledge into clinical practice.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss individual components of movement in typical development 0-12 months.
- Discuss the biomechanics of compensatory atypical movements seen in children with neuromotor and sensory challenges.
- Explain dynamic systems theory of postural control and list 12 contributing component systems.
- Summarize the Dynamic Core for Kids approach to the mechanism of anticipatory central stability in postural control and describe the alignment that optimizes this central stability.
- Discuss the basic principles of NDT theory.
- Demonstrate an introductory level of NDT handling skills, supported by Dynamic Core alignment principles.