Holistic Clinical Reasoning
7 Oct - 18 Nov 2021 @ ONLINE
There are so many layers that can contribute to the diﬃculties our children experience. Sensory processing, postural control, attachment, motor control, emotional regulation and cognition; all of these factors can play a part. When looking at the big picture, what are the clues that lead us to eﬀective assessment and treatment? Join Kim Barthel, OTR and Shelley Mannell, PT for a unique series of live online learning sessions (Oct 7, Oct 21, Nov 4, Nov 18). Participants will be invited to submit a video of a client for analysis and with the ones that are selected, participants will have the opportunity to clinically reason together with the instructors. Video analysis will allow the group to collectively view (and review) the diverse needs of the children observed. What do we notice that is working for the child functionally? What points towards an area of challenge? How might clinicians know which lens to use when watching a child interact with their environment? Shelley and Kim have worked and taught together for over 25 years. Their interaction around supporting children is a partnership, a working conversation that serves as a model for considering multiple factors in assessment and treatment. The highlight is their collaboration, deepening the understanding around how all these factors can come together in forming a cohesive plan for any individual child. Course Objectives Upon completion of this course, the participant will:
- Identify and explain a dynamic systems model of postural control and its connection to functional skills.
- Identify and explain sensory processing contributions to the development of functional skills.
- Identify and explain affective and relational contributions to the development of functional
- Identify and explain potential cortical processing and cognitive contributions to the development of functional skills.
- Apply these models during the assessment of clients (videotape analysis) with diﬀerent presentations/diagnoses.
- Elaborate on the interconnections between the systems in these models and how these apply to each client.
- Discuss treatment plans to address functional skills for children with diﬀerent sensory and motor diagnoses.
- Identify pre-test/post-test measures to determine eﬀectiveness of treatment and in support of the creation of short term and long term functional goals.