FOUNDATION FOR FUNCTION
6 Jul - 27 Aug 2020 @ ONLINE
Postural control is widely accepted as the foundation for all functional motor skills; gross motor, fine motor and oral motor as well as articulation. However few therapists feel mastery in the assessment and clinical reasoning skills, treatment and home program strategies for the various components of this dynamic system. Join me for a deep dive into this subject – a modular, 8-week live, online course. We will utilize a contemporary model of postural control grounded in dynamic systems theory as the framework for developing the theoretical understanding and practical skills for each individual component as well as their connections. The course has been developed with a view to small group discussion and engagement with this fascinating topic.
The format of the course will include:
- Pre-reading assignment: 1-2 articles
- Live lecture (with handout), discussion and Q & A; twice a week Monday and Thursday from 5:30 pm to 7 pm ET
- Short reflective weekly assignments
- Case discussions
- One case presentation to the group
Overall course objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the 10 main components of a contemporary model of postural control and their interconnections.
- Understand standard assessments applicable to these 10 components.
- Identify appropriate treatment techniques to address deficits in each of these 10 components including 3 individual sensory systems.
- Demonstrate clinical reasoning skills in developing an appropriate assessment and treatment planning to address postural control and functional motor skills for children with different presentations.
- Develop a repertoire of treatment strategies to implement in therapy sessions to create meaningful change in both the short and long term.
Session 1: Introduction
Session 2: Muscle Tone
Session 3: Emotional Regulation
Session 4: Musculoskeletal Components
Session 5: Neuromuscular Synergies
Session 6: Case discussions (group)
Session 7: Anticipatory and Reactive Mechanisms
Session 8: Internal Representations and Stability Limits
Session 9: Case discussions (group)
Session 10: Vestibular System
Session 11: Visual System
Session 12: Proprioceptive System
Session 13: Case discussions (group)
Session 14: Cognitive Resources
Session 15: Case presentations (individual)
Session 16: Case presentations (individual)
4 week integration period
Final Session Monday September 28, 2020: Successes and challenges and practical strategies – that’s a wrap.
Dates of the course:
Monday and Thursday from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm EDT (Toronto) July 6, 2020 to August 27, 2020.
Cost of course: $750 CDN
Maximum number of participants: 10
At the end of the course you will have a curated library of articles on postural control and a course completion certificate.
- The estimated total time commitment for the course is 4 -5 hours per week (3 hours online + 1.5 – 2 hours independent study).
- The course will run over the ZoomHealth meeting platform.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.